Once I had the plastic pieces painted I got into the paper part of the project. I opened up photoshop and began to design new playing cards that would compliment the custom pieces.
Completed customized settlers of catan set
I used Avery White Clean Edge Two Sided Laser Business Cards for the playing cards so that drove the image size/proportion. What I like about using Avery products is that they offer free word templates for all of their products. I would take the jpg I created in photoshop/gimp and insert it into the word document for easy printing on the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. Then it would run through the printer and with a little flexing of the paper afterwards the individual cards fall out of the sheet with a nice clean edge.
I wanted the resource cards to be easily read while in your hands so I made sure each card had a strong unique color. Since the color seemed to work well on test prints I kept the text simple. I did add a small colored square to the top right corner of the card in case you wanted to keep your cards very close together. If I had to do it again I would have used a colored border around the cards in lieu of the tiny square. I thought it was a nice touch to have close up shots of the game itself on the cards.
For the number tokens I used Magnetic BINGO Chips and Avery 3/4" printable stickers. Same process as above, use Avery templates to print out tons of stickers and then apply. I liked the magnetic bingo chips since they had a unique metal edge and if they got stuck in a depression you could pull them out with a magnet.
When everything was finished I modified a couple Pioneer Photo Albums Photo/Video Storage Boxes to carry all the pieces.
I still need to finish the extra pieces for the "expansion pack" but I have other tasks that will take priority for a while.