Navigation

2010-08-02

Homemade Settlers of Catan - 05 Packaging / Details

1-Sculpting | 2-Molds | 3-Casting | 4-Painting |5-Packaging | 6-Finishes


Once I had the plastic pieces painted I got into the paper part of the project. I opened up photoshop and began to design new playing cards that would compliment the custom pieces. 


Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d
Completed customized settlers of catan set


I used Avery White Clean Edge Two Sided Laser Business Cards for the playing cards so that drove the image size/proportion. What I like about using Avery products is that they offer free word templates for all of their products. I would take the jpg I created in photoshop/gimp and insert it into the word document for easy printing on the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. Then it would run through the printer and with a little flexing of the paper afterwards the individual cards fall out of the sheet with a nice clean edge.

I wanted the resource cards to be easily read while in your hands so I made sure each card had a strong unique color. Since the color seemed to work well on test prints I kept the text simple. I did add a small colored square to the top right corner of the card in case you wanted to keep your cards very close together. If I had to do it again I would have used a colored border around the cards in lieu of the tiny square. I thought it was a nice touch to have close up shots of the game itself on the cards.

For the number tokens I used Magnetic BINGO Chips and Avery 3/4" printable stickers. Same process as above, use Avery templates to print out tons of stickers and then apply. I liked the magnetic bingo chips since they had a unique metal edge and if they got stuck in a depression you could pull them out with a magnet. 

When everything was finished I modified a couple Pioneer Photo Albums Photo/Video Storage Boxes to carry all the pieces. 
  

I still need to finish the extra pieces for the "expansion pack" but I have other tasks that will take priority for a while.



Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Packaging
Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Packaging








Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Packaging
Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Packaging




Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Cards
Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Cards



Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Settlement City
Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Settlement City





Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Settlement City
Settlers of Catan Homemade 3d  Settlement City








1-Sculpting | 2-Molds | 3-Casting | 4-Painting |5-Packaging | 6-Finishes

9 comments:

  1. Again, baby, you are amaaaazing! That is probably the most custom/beautiful board game ever :-) Matt & Randi sure are lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of the coolest things i've ever seen! i'm looking into making my own custom catan board, which is how i found this. (i'm tired of the pieces falling apart during play!)

    this is great inspiration. awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm actually working on the full expansion right now (finally). I've decided to modify the paint scheme a bit and may touch up the existing tiles. I've also started plans for a wooden felt lined box for all the pieces. I'd love to see a finished pic of your board when it's completed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. Kudos to such good workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the printing you done, I with the numbers and cards alot, any way you be willing to share how you did that, I like to create copy of that for my own game

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat, you're right I did accidentally skip out on a lot of the details of this process. I've since updated the page to hopefully give you some ideas. Good luck on your game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you should post this to boardgamegeeks.com they would love to see this, and thanks for the tip on the cards and chips, I plan to recreate that, if possible, can you share the what you did for the stickers?

    email whitemagex at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job. I'm making a 3d Catan also. Do you have an email where I can ask you questions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:09 PM

    Your cards and rule book are terrific. Where did you get the images? Would it be possible to get a digital copy?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    sj_oreilly7 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete