Navigation

2017-12-21

Minecraft Electronics - Part 5 - Electronic Build

Taught myself how to solder yesterday and now I'm in the thick of it. 

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

I decided to do something crazy and instead of hiding all of the electronics I wanted to show them off so it could become a learning tool for my nephew if he was so inclined to. I sketched out various wiring paths and locations of certain components. This thing is totally Frankenstein's Monster.


minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

This is the 555 timer. I had a blast designing and creating this thing. The best part is even though its somewhat straight forward the exaggerated placement makes it at least 200% cooler.



This thing is ridiculous. You can see the removable battery container, the entrance to the lava fall, the LED pegs, and the back side of that giant momentary switch.


minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

I would always stop and test the circuits after a few minutes of soldering just in case I heated a component up too much and ruined it. Here you can see the Lapis Luzuli Ore with a nice dark blue glow. This thing may actually work!

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

To help stretch and organize the board I needed some pegs to wrap the wires around. I ended up cutting them long just in case the shelf was pressed against a wall to offer protection to the components.


minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

Not only did this thing actually work but after several times timing how long the circuit would stay open it averaged to 5 minutes and 55 seconds. How amusing that in all of the chaos my 555 timer actually resulted in 5:55.

No comments:

Post a Comment