Nothing too glamorous here. I had printed images to scale and decoupaged them onto the wood using Mod Podge.
It was a little tricky putting in the momentary switch. I found this amazing "arcade button" switch that I though would be perfect. Unfortunately the shear size of the component made it tricky to install and not be jutting out the front/back/side of the shelf. In the end a few sharp chisels created a custom recess for the piece. I also took this time to carve out a lava bed and identify where certain lights would be installed.
NOTE: I decided to place the button on the bottom so when someone would press it the entire shelf would be less likely to tip over.
All in all it is starting to take shape. I will end up putting 3-4 coats of Mod Podge on it for protection.
The next step came just a couple days before Christmas when the gift was due. At this point I had only soldered 2 wires together in my entire life. Sometimes the best way to learn is just to jump in!