Navigation

2017-12-19

Minecraft Electronics - Part 3 - Woodworking

It was a sort of puzzle not only making the shapes but figuring out how I was going to route wires through some of the shelves and find LED lights buried within. I was going to cover up everything in the end so I had to make quite a few notes on the wood as I went along.

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

Because I wanted the 'minerals' to glow instead of the entire block I created a paper template for a typical mineral block . I did this by looking for large/small minerals on the Minecraft texture and giving them different colors (drill bit sizes.) I would then 'hog out' the inside of the block from the back using a fornster bit.

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

Below is a picture where I was testing it with a desk lamp behind the piece. I would eventually place LED lights just behind these holes. I found the best way to do this was to cut some dowels to use as plugs in the holes made by the fornster bit. I then drilled 2 holes down the length of this plug to run the wires for the LED. The LED itself was just placed against the other side of the dowel. 

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555 minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

Once all of the cuts were made and holes drilled I began assembly of the shelf system.

minecraft diy wooden blocks electronics LED lights 555

Next step, putting some graphics on this thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment