Navigation

2009-05-15

Wood Strip Kayak - Post 09 - Coaming

Index: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

If you look closely you can see I added another dark brown stripe down the inside seam. It looked so nice on the outside that I figured what the heck. I traced the cockpit opening and made a clean cut. Using some scrap strips I began to form the coaming. I continued the racing stripes up and over the coaming just to make it that much more awesome.

Wood Strip Kayak Coaming

Like seeing an old friend, there was a strange joy when all my clamps came back to help. Maybe I should open the garage door and get some fresh air? Anyways I had some long thin strips of wood left over and I used them to reinforce where the vertical strips meet the deck. Then I used another to define the top profile of the coaming.

Wood Strip Kayak Coaming

Once the wood glue had cured overnight I trimmed off the excess wood. I'm very happy with how clean it turned out. This coaming should help keep water from rushing over the deck and into my lap.

Wood Strip Kayak Coaming


Index: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12










No comments:

Post a Comment