Navigation

2009-06-05

Project - Car Rack

Index: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12



After looking into retail roof racks and kayak racks that mount to the top of the roof racks I decided to try making one on my own. The two black rails are easily removable but will most likely stay since I've found it helps me find my car in large parking lots. A made a separate kayak rack that quickly bolts to the black bars.



The kayak rack extends over the entire roof to protect the skylight while offering ample support to the kayak. Toward the back of the rack I built a large roller that allows me to load the 45 pound kayak easily on my own. Just roll it up and set it down. Then tighten a few ratchet tie downs and off I go. It can handle turns and 60mph speeds without even shifting a bit. Though I have lost a couple blue pads on my first trip. Luckily they are a cheap water toy "fun noodles" and were easily replaced.

Index: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12





No comments:

Post a Comment